Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Confessions of a Social Chameleon

Confessions of a Social Chameleon

Written by Dave DeRose


There's something special about someone who knows who they are. There are many people out there wondering aimless, not knowing their identity. For a long time, that was me. I was a social chameleon, blending into other peoples lives. I felt imprisoned by attempting to be like those I was around.  Listen to their music, go to their places, and enjoy their hobbies. I was doing just to do. It was exhausting and I was unaware I was doing it. I, the quintessential "people pleaser." I did things that I know are not a part of my character just to maintain positive relationships: to keep the peace. I did things in the name of entertaining other people to ensure those around me were satisfied and happy, not considering what I needed.  As I look back, I was truly living an empty existence.   

To regret this time as a social chameleon would only increase my despair. Instead I look at it as a learning opportunity. I feel as though God wanted me to spend a season of life there to understand where people are coming from. I found wisdom in various methods of living, even if they were not in line with who I am.
  



No comments:

Post a Comment