Monday, January 5, 2015

Shadows Cast Across Canyons

Shadows Cast Across Canyons

Written by: Dave DeRose


I always thought I was special.

That I had something more.

I’d save the world like Captain America!

Throwing the football across the street; I was John Elway.

Putting the perfect spiral on the Super Bowl winning touchdown.

Never a thought of mediocrity…

Now 28, I feel nothing but mediocre.

I'm not sure if you'll know my meaning 

Nor do I think these words are new.

Feeling like a pebble on a beach.

Falling into an existential abyss.

So I escaped.

Far, to a desert land.

Found a canyon.

Climbed to the highest point.

Looked across the canyon to see my silhouette excitedly waving its arms above its head…

I cast a shadow across this great canyon.

Here I found peace.

Realizing that’s what our lives are.

Shadows cast across canyons.

No comments:

Post a Comment